Project Report - Phase I Higher Education
Note: All chapters are pdf files. Some minor amendments to this
document are currently underway. However, the report in its current
format was accepted and well received by JISC.
- Front Matter
Title Page, 'How to use this book', Acknowledgement,
Executive Summary, details on authorship and contents page.
About the CITSCAPES Project
- Chapter 1.
Background to the Project
- The general context in which the project is set is briefly
outlined. For more recent updates see our 'About' page
- Chapter 2. Aims of
The remit and aims of the project are outlined. For more
recent updates see our 'About' page
- Chapter 3.
Actions and Methods
- The various activities carried out in the course of the
project are outlined. For more recent updates see our
'About', 'News' and 'Products' pages.
- Part 2. Perspective
- Chapter 4.
Concepts of C&IT Literacy in Higher
- An overview of the development of concepts of C&IT
literacy and their application in higher education.
- Chapter 5.
Student C&IT Induction: a Developmental Approach
- An overview, from a developmental perspective of the
current situation regarding student C&IT induction, as
shown by the data assembled during the course of the
6. Student C&IT Induction: a Cross-Sectoral
- An overview of the data assembled through the survey
carried out as part of the project. For a more
up-to-date version see our presentation
at IT&ILit 2002. The survey
reports are also available to view.
7. Student C&IT Induction: some Case
- An overview of the main features of the institutions
which offered themselves as case studies during the
course of the project's activity. For a more
up-to-date version see our presentation at IT&ILit
2002. The complete case studies are also available to
view. Please also view the C&IT Induction Maps for Cheltenham &
Gloucester College of Higher Education, Glasgow Caledonian
University, University of Oxford,
University of Stirling and
University of Glasgow.
8. Student C&IT Induction in US HEIs
- A brief impression of some of the salient student
C&IT activities currently being carried out in North
9. Key Factors in developing Student C&IT
- A brief exploration of some of the major factors
which influence the development of student C&IT
10. The CITSCAPES Developmental Positioning
- Offers a tool allowing the institution to be placed on
a developmental model focusing on student C&IT induction
in the context of other C&IT developments. Note that
this tool is currently revised for the further education
sector and will appear as a seperate project publication
later this year.
- Chapter 11.
- Offers a tool allowing a very detailed examination of
many aspects of student C&IT induction within the
institution. Please view also the examples and
worksheets in the Appendices to this report.
- Chapter 12.
Skill Focus Tool
- Offers a tool encouraging reflection on the skills
included in any particular programme of student C&IT
induction. Please note that this tool is also in the
process of being adjusted for the FE sector. An improved
version can be viewed from our Products
- Chapter 13.
The CITSCAPES Website
- Indicates the features available on the project
website at the time this report was written. Note that
our project website is undergoing constant changes with
a new template being launched near the end of April
- Chapter 14.
- Describes the structure and method of usage of the
database focusing on resources relevant to student C&IT
induction issues. Please visit our database.
- Chapter 15.
- Points to some key sources relevant to student C&IT
induction issues. More recent updates can be found in
our resources section.
- Covers terms, abbreviations and acronyms relevant to
student C&IT induction issues.
- Covers examples and worksheets for the
Top of page
© CITSCAPES project, 2002